Sunday, November 6, 2011

Small Things


Small things


In late April, I find trailing arbutus in flower
under the ridged old white pines.

In early May, I discover the first hermit thrush
singing within the hemlocks
its spiraling opera.

Every day, new things arrive,
or bloom, or are born, or die.
I try to find as many of them as I can.

I don’t collect them in plastic bags,
or put them in vases,
or pin them on cardboard,
or exile them to my freezer,

or eat them.

I just try to find them.

Sometimes I find them with my ears,
sometimes by nearly stepping on them,
sometimes they just come to me.

If I were to put them all in a container,
they would look like nothing more than where I am now
which is lying under a white pine
that is leaning over the river
a river flowing so softly I can only hear it
now and again
amidst the birds that sing
among the needles that fall.

- John Bates

No comments:

Post a Comment